Friday, February 08, 2008

Colin Powell for Vice President


From CNN Political Ticker:

Colin Powell may support Democrat or Independent in ‘08
Posted: 08:12 PM ET


Click on link to Watch Colin Powell discuss the presidential race.
WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, a Republican who served under President Bush, said Friday he may not back the GOP presidential nominee in November, telling CNN that “I am keeping my options open at the moment.”

“I have voted for members of both parties in the course of my adult life,” Powell, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “And as I said earlier, I will vote for the candidate I think can do the best job for America, whether that candidate is a Republican, a Democrat, or an Independent.”

Powell also offered praise for Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, who is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination, calling him an “exciting person on the political stage.

“He has energized a lot of people in America,” said Powell, who briefly weighed his own run for the White House in the mid-1990s. “He has energized a lot of people around the world. And so I think he is worth listening to and seeing what he stands for.”

Powell, who has largely steered clear of politics since leaving the administration in 2004, noted that the next president will need to work to restore America’s standing in the world.

“I will ultimately vote for the person I believe brings to the American people the kind of vision the American people want to see for the next four years,” he said. “A vision that reaches out to the rest of the world, that starts to restore confidence in America, that starts to restore favorable ratings to America. Frankly, we've lost a lot in recent years.”

Programming note: Tune in for the full interview with Colin Powell on “Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer,” airing this Sunday, 11-1 PM, ET.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/10/2008

    I NEVER talk about people who served their country with honor and commitment to something bigger than all of us - so the question for me is WHY? You were my first image of someone I could have unequivically followed - can't for the life of me understand why you jumped on the Bush train - Condi was easier to swallow - she left her "roots" long ago, but I kept thinking your warrior mentality would never let some "civvy", of which ALL the "HAWKS" NEVER SPENT TIME IN BOOTS, NOR DID THEY HAVE ANYONE IN HARMS WAY. I just knew I would hear something from you, either when war was eminent, and that devil rumsfuck sent our children in with neither numerical superiority, nor proper equipment. And I thought you would be livid when, chinney AND the other imp rummy practically calling the CHMN. of Joint Chiefs, and staff cowards for telling them what needed hearing - so my question is why do they think you're relevent now? It's hard to not consider you a power hungry porch monkey like ol' condiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/16/2008

    Mr. Powell, have you considered running for vice president with Al Gore running for president. I think this would be a winning ticket for the democratic party. Our country -really- needs you at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be nice to see him switch parties then run as vp next to Obama. He is a prefect fit because of his experience. It would also give him a chance to redeem himself after he was used and abused by the bush administration. The coverage and controversy that move would cause would be free marketing for the Obama campaign. McCain’s camp could never make a comeback from that. This could also help win over some republican voters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8/28/2008

    If McCain picks Powell for VP he will become the next President of the United States of America!

    ReplyDelete