Sunday, September 24, 2006

How does the city value homeowners' property?

In Sunday's paper, once again, local officials blame the state for their greed in utilizing the maximum tax rate. The state has limited locals on how much they can tax homeowners,and offer exemptions to reduce the burden on homeowners. And I enclose the comment below as an example of the frustration in the city not using tax dollars to improve neighborhoods.


John Good said:
Bob G - The reason for the "appreciation" of your property was due to tax restructuring by THE COUNTY. For most of the last nine years of your residency there, you got off easy because your home was under-valued due to age and other considerations.

I lived southeast from 1970-2005, and actually saw my property taxes decrease three times, including during the recent reassessments. My home was newer (1969) so it's value was more fairly stated over the years.

As for the rest of your issues, I understand your frustrations. . .I spent most of my life there. The city can't control everything that we'd like it to; and my concerns were addressed roughly 80% of the time. Granted, I was an association prez, and my home was on the fringe of the area, unlike your locale.

I busted my butt trying to involve residents of my addition to get involved, but rarely got new people to become involved. I saw the same people (God bless 'em!) show up for meetings and events over and over again. My respect for them is enormous.

But we were unable to fight "rolling boomboxes" cruising down our streets, lack of parental involvement in schools, etc. These issues are, understandably, not the top priority of the FWPD. When I called them on crime issues, they responded immediately. Again, this may be an issue of title and/or location, I have read your reports of non-attention to drug houses, and other reported crimes.

I wound up leaving because I was unable to create change fast enough for my children. I would still be there fighting for the south side otherwise.

The great majority of southsiders ARE decent and respectable people who care about their property and their community; but there are enough "bad apples" present in a large enough geographic area that makes it impossible for FWPD alone to solve everyone's problems.

I'm proud to have grown up southeast. It was my childhood home and my choice to live there til the age of 41. I'm excited to see the new developments at Southtown, and visit the new stores as well as K-Mart (God bless them for standing tall) regularly.

Alot of positive things are happening southeast, even in your part of it. If your family situation allows you to stay and experience the rebirth that has been sewn there, I know you'll appreciate the rewards. . ."

We can want to believe...

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure of the answers myself, Credo. I think the city really does do what it can with the resources that are available.

    I can tell you from my tenure as an association president that the city department heads and contacts were extremely open to us. They shared their knowledge with us, set up contacts, and urged us to participate.

    I can tell you that what I heard from other SE area pres's echoed what I stated: It was extremely difficult to overcome the apathy and get one's neighbors involved.

    "Bob G", whom I don't necessarily agree with on many issues, has valid concerns if he is getting no response to his calls to FWPD and/or other city departments. Maybe he should hook up with his association, or start one if it doesn't exist. There's power in groups, and groups will sqeak much louder for the bearer of the grease.

    We spent the afternoon shopping southeast today, from Southgate to Southtown. I was pleased to see WalMart absolutely packed with shoppers. I asked my friend, who manages a store at Southgate, if WallyWorld had affected that business in any way. I was told that it hadn't, and business was "as usual".

    More proof that there is a huge demand for retail SE. Southtown Center was a huge step in the right direction, and it's had no negative impact on existing retail. Let's hope more people continue to see the benefit of building there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/25/2006

    Credo:
    Thanks for posting the dialogue between John & myself.
    While John is more liberal than I am (I'm just one of those lowly moderate independents...lol), he relates to my predicament, and I appreciate anyone that takes the time to understand all points of view. It's not a Rep or Dem issue with me....we're ALL in this, party affiliations aside.

    I would love to get w/ the neighborhood association, but (by the quadrant chief's own words)...it's basically "dead". They barely have anyone show up at meetings. With all these folks around here, we "should" have one of the LARGEST groups...but we don't, sadly.

    As for "getting off easy" with taxes on MY house...well, it's the HIGHEST assessed property in at least a 3 block radius...(must be all those houses turned rentals that sell for $7500). I don't feel "that lucky". I think it's a "tag-team" gig with taxes between the COUNTY & the city!

    I also can't really see people being moved INTO a hovel that sells for $7500...they sure aren't getting a place they can call "home" at that price.
    Affordable housing does not mean mudhut-esque dwellings to cram 7-10 people into...that's just not humane...or fair.

    There are OVER 400 houses AVAILABLE NOW that are just sitting "static"...no one iving in them, no one fixing them up....basically nothing being done at all.
    That's not "progress".

    Crime hasn't changed much, and in spite of "reports" that it has gone down (according to certain crimes classified in the wrong category), it has really gone UP...statistics can be made to say anything.
    That's not "progress".

    Retail is FINALLY making a comeback (when IMHO, it should have NEVER LEFT)...and we'll see if all the "variables" impact on further revitalization of shopping.

    It all comes down to the PEOPLE, though...people that CARE...that WANT to make things better...that will go more than that "extra mile" to get things done.

    But if those people simply aren't around, or those that still are choose to NOT get involved...where does that eventually leave this part of town?

    Time...not the BEST way to wait and see...just the ONLY way!

    ;)

    B.G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob and John:

    You're right police should take crime serious, when folks like Bob calls. But I know they don't, it's called permissive crime. Let the criminals run off the good folks and kill themselves off at the same time.

    John call the Chief of Police and ask for a ride along in the 2500 block of Warsaw, this activity has been going on for years. I saw "Bender" driving this neighborhood one day. If it is so obvious to anyone walking or riding, what's up with the police not breaking up this stuff. I know you want to say, the neighbors should complain, and they have. Now, they have become indifference, almost like Bob.

    Neighborhood association, I had neighborhood association president who treated you the same whether you showed up or not. He was the neighborhood ! He believed in the neighborhood. So, yes it would be nice if folks came and stood for something, but that's not the real world. But to stop speaking out or rejecting the piecemeal offerings is not an option.

    Both of you have good points, I'm only saying that I expect more from government and less from people who didn't create the mess in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9/26/2006

    I am getting into that "the gov't OWES ME big time" mentality these days, and I feel I'm justified. But what they OWE me is a safer environment to live in...

    I keep records of drug deals I see, send reports, pictures & vehicle descriptions to the FWPD on a MONTHLY basis, keep tabs on PD calls in my area...and basically do it all for GRATIS....when some admins in the FWPD (Or even the Neighborhood Association) should be earning their keep doing this FOR all the folks...to protect ALL of us...making OUR quality of life better. I'm still waiting...for the change that is.

    Yeah, I'm one of those that didn't create the mess around here, tries to keep the mess from getting worse, and calls to task ANYONE that feels they are "above the law". Blame it on a police family back in Philly...lol!

    The most difficult part in attempting to do the right thing, is that as a mere "citizen", you have virtually NO means at your disposal to act. The police respond to any call you make (dependant upon the "priority" of a given call), and that's about IT. Forget trying to reason, talk to, or even confront any of these "mess-makers".

    A few years back I did a "ride along"...and the time I spent was actually MORE RELAXING than staying in my neighborhood...the officer and I were even involved in a pursuit of a repo vehicle!

    I just feel for ALL the tax money the city and county "relieves me of involuntarily", something MORE should be...MUST be done.

    And I'm just not seeing it.

    I say forget dangling a carrot in front of us...give us the means to GROW a whole FIELD of carrots!

    That's like the biblical proverb: Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day...Teach him to fish and you feed him for LIFE.

    City & county governments might learn from that, eh?

    B.G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob:

    Who is the government, is the question? Those who are elected are PAID with CITIZENA' dollares to do their jobs. And I Expect for them to do their jobs..they are NOT GIVING ME ANYTHING NOR AM I ASKING THEM TO GIVE ME ANYTHING> Just do their jobs and the quality of live will improve for those who they are dismissed as throuaways.

    Today, I saw a criminal use the barter system. He takes his wares that he has stolen and sells it to a residents who has money. The criminal has no money, so it is at the mercy of the buyer, who is in a better position because he HAS THE Money. Question who is the Loser? Answer, the homeowner. The Homeowner has been violated, her property stolen and the police will report it for insurance purposes only, forget about catching the criminals.

    Another questions, where is all the drugs coming from that is being sold in poor neighborhoods?

    ReplyDelete