Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Outrageous


Dear Attorney General Steve Carter:

We know you visited the City of Fort Wayne and suggested a fine of almost $200,000 for the injury to the Schwab Foundation, but what about all folks at Fort Wayne Neighborhood Partnership. And what about the NeighborWorks folks with the folding of its nonprofit. Where's the money?


Former Executive Director Nicole Turner-Ridley should feel vindicated with the recent reporting of the closing of the doors of the NeighborWorks organization. Ridley firing may have been used to cover the operation of the organization by the board members. I blogged about this earlier:

One thing that I don't understand is when an investigation is ongoing for African-Americans the media shouts criminal charges. But, shouts are mistakes with raced whites there is no charges or criminal activity pending when wrongdoing is reported in the media. If the investigation ever makes it to the media. This is not to excuse anyone's behavior, but too often board members who are responsible for oversight are hand picked in order to usurp accountability or to excuse the requirement of their fiduciary duties.

Still, it should not comes as no surprise that folks rarely see the fruition of a project meant to alleviate the condition of an impoverished area because huge amount of money has been diverted to unauthorized areas or to save profit for nonprofits.


So that $200,000 was not enough for the million dollar Schwab foundation or the meager selling of the small number of properties for NeighborWorks listed in the news story.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/08/2007

    I also worked for NeighborWorks, when it was still Project Renew. I found accounting errors, and brought it to the CFO's attention. I subsequently got weeded out by reorganization. Why? Because the Controller did with the Loan Servicer that found the error, the same that she did with me. She turned the attention onto the Loan Servicer, and distracted the CFO and the Executive Director from the errors (substantial errors) that she was making. I firmly believe that Nicole had NO idea what was going on, and I feel bad that she was fired. I don't feel a bit sorry about the Controller, though. She FINALLY got found out. Unfortunately, at a high price for the organization. This is NOT a black issue. I'm a white person, and I'll tell you one thing. The people I worked with at NeighborWorks were my family, and I FELT they were my family for the 3 years I was there. I'm sorry that the person that was relied upon to handle the financial aspect of this business, screwed up so royally. This not-for-profit organization was a wonderful thing for Fort Wayne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Former Executive Director Nicole Turner-Ridley should feel vindicated with the recent reporting of the closing of the doors of the NeighborWorks organization. Ridley firing may have been used to cover the operation of the organization by the board members. I blogged about this earlier:

    Many families who purchased homes can from the African-American community. Many of these homes were overpriced and many will lose these homes.

    The team to protect Nicole was not there. And because the team was not there, Nicole and the organization is gone.

    This is not about Nicole this is about the crooks who stole the money and have harmed hardworking families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/12/2007

    Unfortunately the crooks were employees who worked under Nicole. Good luck to Nicole in the future, for sure, because she is a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are running things, how is it possible for you not to know nothing about what is going on under your watch?

    Somebody or somebodies need to name names and tell how much really is missing. The telephone is disconnected. Folks mortgage payments are being returned. Folks are unsure where to send their payments.

    I don't know understand how this is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3/27/2007

    I am a customer of Neighborworks and I am saddened by the situation. I don't know where the blame lays but I do know that I have been kept advised of the situation there at the office and given address to send my payments and even had assistance with a problem I was having in my house. I don't know how many people are still working there, but I think Miss Debbie Fisher must be there every day. Her car is always in the parking lot and she has been very helpful every time I have needed anything. I wish every one from there best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your response. You sound as if you are satisfied with the service you received from NeighborWorks.

    And that's a good thing.

    But my question to you, what was the cost of your home, what was the interest rate, does your home require a ballon payoff, what is the total cost of your home at the end of your payoff.

    I believe that full disclosure is absence here. I believe you and many homeowners will never pay off your home.

    I believe that if you were to sell your home today you would be able to sell it for the sold valued or appraised value.

    I talked with several homeowners who did not know where to send their payments.

    And yes, I understand that even office workers are concerned about this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to type I believe that if you were to sell your home today you would NOT be able to sell it for the sold valued or appraised value instead of I believe that if you were to sell your home today you would NOT be able to sell it for the sold valued or appraised value.

    I know many homeowners who lost their homes, a dream for many families. It should have never happened if full disclosure had occurred.

    When you compare apples to oranges you get fruit, but that does not mean they are the same.

    In other words, if you take your house and compare it to another house in a different neighborhood and get a different result they are not the same.

    If you can do that I believe you are getting the best bang for your dollar if not..it is predatory lending.

    ReplyDelete