Monday, February 11, 2008

Wind of Change is blowing in VIrginia calling for Obama

Mason Simms


The email blasts went out that a ticket only event would take place in Alexandria, Virginia. I did not get the email! Over 3000 red tickets were gone by the time I discovered that the tickets were being given out, and by 6:00 p.m. I did not have a ghost of a chance of getting a ticket.

I decided that I would at camp out early on Sunday, to at least be a part of the Obama phenomenon. I talked two new comrades, Gerald and Fred, to take part in this moment of Obama fever. Fred was a little reluctant. I think it was because he had exprienced my driving skills and he did not have a lot of faith in me driving him on I-495. Nevertheless, I talked the two into going, and it was only after I got Fred on the road that I revealed we did not have tickets.

But I believed, we could get ticket based on the conversation that I had with one of the Obama campaigners. Fred was a skeptic, as I told him we are going to get in. I wanted to leave by 8:30 a.m. but the fact that I had to wait on Fred, we did not get to T.C. Williams High School until about 10:00 a.m. This made me worry about our chances of getting inside to see Obama.

There were about 100 folks already standing in line. So much for being the first folks there. Now, I had to get my beg on. As I asked campaign workers if there were extra tickets. No, No extra tickets. So the next step was to get the message into the crowd that this woman was in line looking for a ticket to get in.

Maggie would come to my rescue with a red ticket. .
I gave Maggie a big hug. But, I had two comradres with me, it would not be fair to go in without them. I still needed two more tickets.

John who was standing in front of me tells me that his wife and 2 children would be joining him and if his children would not need tickets to get in, he would give us his two tickets. Cool, we were almost in, until one of the campaigners came out to announce that no one would be able to get in without a ticket, including children!

It was at this point that Cassandra came forward with two tickets.  Me, Cassandra, Gerald
Cassandra stated the tickets were orginally for her parents, but they would not be attending. By the time the announcer was ready to kick out of line Fred, we had our three red tickets. Now we are ready to go in when the doors open at 12:30 p.m.Monica FikesMekayla and Mom

John gave me a little background about the school as we wait to go in.

John, informed me that T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria, Virginia was the topic of a movie called "Remember the Titans", starring Denzel Washinton about a school that was desegregated.Noah Belkhayat,Anna Moeser, Christopher Wong, me and Zack Neurohr

Interesting. John had been to other Obama events and was very helpful.


The doors opens and we have to pass through a metal detector. Fred is traveling with a cane. After they checked Fred's cane for a hidden sword, Fred is ushered in and gets a front row seat! Of course Gerald and I do not know this until after the event, because we were trying to get though the metal detector when Fred received special treatment.

Yes, this is the same Fred who was reluctant to attend the event!


Anyway, I decide I do not want to sit in the benchers and I finally get one of the campaign workers to allow me to sit on the floor. I get to sit right behind the VIP section. This means I will not get a chance to touch Obama, but I would get an upfront and eye contact view. It will have to do.

I am in the room, even if I did not get into the press room..Alex Lorman and M.E. Sprengelmeyer

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2/16/2008

    What a great show of faith and a great event! I am Gerald , it I have to say that I really admire the fire and zeal that Jacquie has! Her faith shows strong and produces results! Thanks for the excitement and just for being you!

    ReplyDelete